Pimple appeared at the corner of lips and popped. What are the chances of getting infection?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Acne
Question: Hello,

This morning I popped a pretty big pimple just under the bottom right corner of my lip. Later on that day a friend told me that I could get sick and die because I popped a pimple in the "triangle of death" or something because of some vein behind the nose. Is this true?

When I popped the pimple my hands were clean and I used rubbing alcohol on the pimple prior to popping it. I had to use a safety pin to help pop it but I disinfected that with benzalkonium chloride before I did anything. Afterwards I cleaned the wound with rubbing alcohol and the benzalkonium chloride.

What are my chances of getting sick from this? How often do people die from popping pimples in the triangle of death?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

At the outset I assure you that you're not going to die because of this pimple, so relax.

Upper lip and lower part of the nose is called as a XXXXXXX area of the face since infection from this area can cause cavernous sinus thrombosis ( a big vein in the brain).

I saw the picture you have attached, pimple is on the corner of the mouth on the lower side, not in the XXXXXXX area of the face. There is nothing to worry, you are having a ball with some cellulitis (infection of adjoining area).

All you need is a course of antibiotics for 3 days and analgesic anti inflammatory drugs (pain killer).

Death from infection of XXXXXXX area is not known now, it is a thing of the past, since now we have very strong antibiotics to treat infection.
So even this pimple would have occurred in the XXXXXXX area of your face, there is nothing to worry.

Your chances of getting sick from this pimple is very very less , almost negligible, since you have already cleaned it with antiseptic solution and hopefully you will start antibiotic soon.

I would suggest you to consult a nearby physician for prescription of antibiotics.

Hope I answered your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Get well soon
Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sadiq Mughal 16 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Mughal!

Thank you for writing me. What should I ask my doctor to prescribe me as far as antibiotics are concerned? Will amoxicillin work? That's the first antibiotic that comes to mind.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up.
Your physician knows the best, which antibiotic to prescribe.
Since boils are usually caused by Staphylococcus aureus (which is the name of bacteria), amoxicillin alone will not work Amoxicillin plus Clavulanate potassium is good combination and covers large spectrum of bacteria .It is freely available all over world by brand name of Augmentin.
The second choice could be Levofloxacin which is also broad spectrum antibiotic and also active against staph..
Hope this answers your question.
If you don't have any more queries, please close the discussion.
Get well soon.
Dr Sadiq
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli