Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest alternative medication instead of Ofloxacin for epididymitis

Question
My son an some kind of infection called Epididymitis. He has taken Ofloxacin which did not rid him of the infection. He does not have health insurance. Is their an cheaper alternative drug available to treat that infection? The Ofloxacin cost $300 and it didn't work.

Also, can you call in a prescription for him? He uses XXXXXXX Dixie Pharmacy. Their phone number is 0000
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
what the CDC recommends

Detailed Answer:
The Center for Disease Control recommends a single dose of Ceftriaxone (an injection) plus levofloxacin or ofloxacin for 10 days for treatment of epididymitis.
If he did not get the injection, this could be part of the problem. He may need to get the injection and then a course of the antibiotic doxycycline (which should be cheaper than the ofloxacin.
I hope he is better soon,
Dr. Robinson

Follow-up: Suggest alternative medication instead of Ofloxacin for epididymitis 14 hours later
If he goes back to the clinic and gets the injection, can you call the prescription in for him for the 10 days of doxycycline? He uses XXXXXXX Dixie Pharmacy. Their phone number is 251-476-0648. Please advise.

Thank You, XXXXXXX XXXX
YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
not on this platform

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for the consult, but we are not allowed to prescribe on this platform. Also I am not licensed in your state and so could not prescribe it in any case. Please have the clinic doctors give him a prescription for the doxycycline as well as the Ceftriaxone injection.
I hope he is better soon,
Dr. Robinson