What are the side effects of Levofloxacin?

Question
I recently saw an ENT doctor about my fairly constant sinus infections (something I've dealt with for years). The conclusion he came to is that I actually have a chronic sinus infection that flares up and is only partially beaten back by the normal week long round of antibiotics. He prescribed me a three week course of 500 mg Levofloxacin (the generic version of Levaquin), one pill a day. I have a few follow up appointments already set up.

The heart of my question is about a possible, though unlikely, side affect the paperwork warned me about: weakened and/or burst tendons! It's a frightening possibility for me, as I am a carpenter by trade and physically active in my free time. Aside from being aware of new/strange pains I may have, what can I do to lessen the chance of something happening to my tendons? Extra stretching, certain supplements, avoid certain foods, etc...or is purely up to chance?

I am a 32 year old physically fit woman who is petite (5'2 and 105 pounds). I take no other medication/supplements/vitamins. I have no chronic pains or injuries, though my career lends itself to bruising, soreness, and fatigue from time to time. Being a carpenter is physically demanding, and I constantly am carrying heavy material, climbing scaffolding, and twisting my body into odd positions. Aside from being allergic to penicillin and sulfa antibiotics, I have no issues with medications. I also read that these side affects can manifest up to 6 months after taking this medicine, so what precautions should I be taking in the following half year?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries, side effect you mentioned from literature is rare

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Levaquin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic and its side effect of weaker tendons is very rare and that too in young age of less than 18 years use and not in your case. So no worries. So you can use this antibiotic for chronic sinusitis and get precautionary measures to prevent future exposure like dust and pollen exposure to be reduced. Also in carpenter hood, use some mask to avoid that wooden dust . Also if your doctor as ruled out any anatmoical cause for chronic sinusitis like deviated nasal septum or any other surgically correctable cause then supportive care is all you need. Use of antihistamines like desloratadine on and off for supportive care will help.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan