Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Painful cystic acne in pubic area before periods. Any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12673 Questions
i keep getting large painful cystic acne on my pubic area and want to know why and what i can do about them. when I do get them its usually premenstrual and unless it opens and drains on its own which is a mess, they take weeks to go away and are always painful. i have tried popping them before but its very painful and then looks bruised.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Large painful cystic acne on the pubic area near your periods is most likely due to hormonal changes in your body during that period.
If you have other features of hormonal acne like irregular periods , facial hair,scalp hair loss, weight gain, acne over chin & jaw line , aggravation of acne two days prior to periods , then I would suggest you to go for certain hormonal assessment tests like Serum Testosteron,LH/FSH ratio, DHEA-S etc along with a lower abdomen ultra sound .This is to rule out PCOD( poly-cystic ovary disease) or a adrenal cause of acne.
You need aggressive treatment for these under the guidance of your dermatologist.
Hormonal treatment like Dianette or XXXXXXX will help along with treatment with retinoids. But these medicines require proper follow up and dermatologist supervision.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Painful cystic acne in pubic area before periods. Any treatment? 41 minutes later
What can I do at home to help with them to get them to go away quicker since they do eventually go away. Also will anything help with the pain ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

At home you can follow general cleanliness measures, do a hot fomentation, apply a local antibiotic cream like neosporin or bacitracin.

Do clean the area daily with soap and water. Use cotton underwear.

To relieve the pain and inflammation, you can take tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days.

Taking broad spectrum antibiotics orally will also help you but you need to visit your doctor.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor