Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Obese. Guide on Bariatic treatment for losing weight?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 69 Questions
My weight is 114 KG and am obese, would like to know about Bariatic treatment for losing weight
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Surindher 1 hour later

Thank you for using XXXXXXX for your health related query.

You have mentioned your weight but you haven't mentioned your height.

Weight loss procedures are per se' the Bariatric procedures. But these are procedures designed to severely alter your body physiology and hence are best suited for people with a BMI of 35 and above ( Morbid obesity)

Bariatric procedures are done by surgeons and not by plastic surgeons.

You also haven't mentioned your age and whether you were married, had kids etc, because that will also have a bearing on the type of procedure to choose for your case.

You have mentioned that you are on thyronorm for your hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism itself is a cause for weight gain. So unless your thyroid profile is normal we cannot do anything further.

As plastic surgeons what we do for fat reduction is LIPOSUCTION.

Nowadays we are doing something called Megaliposuctions where in we remove more than 10% of body weight in a single sitting but that is a major procedure and not all surgeons do it. We do it because we have a well trained team. That said by liposuction you will loose more in inches than in Kg's, and you will look much better and after the intial healing period there are no major long term effects. But here we are not making any physiological changes to the body.

After all this there is a certain healthy lifestyle patter that you will have to follow to maintain the results and of course continuing treatment for hypothyroidism.

Please understand that these options have been given to you generally without examining you. What would be the best option for you has to be decided after proper examination and consultation.

But as a general rule, bariatric procedures give the best results when your BMI ( body mass index) is more than 35. As I always tell my patient's... you have to earn the procedure. Just because it can be done doesn't meant everyone is a candidate for it.

My recommendation would be for you to get your thyroid levels to normal and then XXXXXXX a plastic surgeon so you can evaluate all your options after a proper clinical examination.

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Obese. Guide on Bariatic treatment for losing weight? 36 minutes later
Thanks Doc.

My age is 34 years and 6 months. I have two kids (age 13 and 5) both through caeserian. My height is 5 feet and 5 inches.

I think my BMI is around 40 and now look at you for your advise and also helping me identify a Surgeon in Delhi / NCR.

Thank you,

Aarti Malhotra
Answered by Dr. Surindher 59 minutes later

Thank you for the reply. Yes a BMI of 40 would be helped by a bariatric procedure.
Please get in touch with Dr XXXXXXX Bhojwani at +0000. He is based out of Jaipur, but visits Delhi often. You can give him my reference. He will do the needful for you or guide you to an alternative.

Thank you for using XXXXXXX

All the best for ur procedure.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor