• question-icon

Suggest treatment for multiple lipomas in the arms, thighs and back

Posted on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: Hello, this question is for a dermatologist or a general surgeon. I suffer from multiple lipomas in my arms, thighs and back. My questions:
1) Is there a treatment available for lipomas to stop them from growing or increasing in size?
2) If surgical excision is the only option, is there a cosmetic treatment available to cover up the scars?
3) Are there any known lifestyle causes for lipomas? (I am a gym goer on high protein diet). does that have any correlation with their spreading?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your queries, albeit short and specific.
To answer your queries:
> There is no such treatment available in any XXXXXXX everything has been tried but none worked till now; hence to keep is as it is or get these removed.

> Incisions can be planned in such a way that are least visible and finest threads used for skin closure and further management of the scars done as per the body's response. Not everyone gets bad scars. Watch for the scars you might have had from previous injuries or so.

There is no correlation with lifestyle or diet.

Please post clear and focused photos for me to assist you better.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Thank you Dr. Some people were advising me to cut down on chicken/meat, have less protein or even stop doing bodybuilding if I want to control them. Is there any truth in it?
what are these lipomas?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Actually there is no direct relationship.
Once you start taking more proteins and start body building one usually starts loosing fat and thus the lipoma start looking more prominent.
So carry on your diet and exercise program.

Lipoma is the group of fat cells that stop obeying the commands of the body regularization hence becomes a mass which grows very slowly but does not cause any harmful effects on nearby structure or at distance, hence called a benign lesion that is non-cancerous.
The general rule we follow for removal are:
Looking unsightly/bad/prominent.
If on joints.
If pressing on muscles.
If there is sudden growth or pain.

If the lipomas fit into any of the above problems,get them removed.
I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Thank you Dr. let us say that I get the unsightly ones on my arms removed, is there any plastic surgery available which will make my scars totally invisible? I noted your point earlier about a smart incision and using finest threads but I had one lipoma excised several years ago and it left a visible cut. I can tolerate one or two such scars but 6-7 of them would also be unsightly. I will attach a couple of pictures.
Is it true that if you excise lipomas, they proliferate further?
the reason I am asking is because I had one around 10 years ago, then two and over the last 2 years I have developed at least 20! Where does it stop?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post the photos please - clear and focused.

Detailed Answer:
Awaiting the pictures, not yet uploaded.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon