Noticed vaginal discharge, having painful aches in leg and frequent stomach aches. What could be the reason for greenish discharge?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Time and time again, I have noticed a "dirty" vaginal discharge on my 8 year old daughter's underwear. I say dirty because by the time I see it, it is dried and hard to tell the original color. This has happened for a few years now. Yesterday, I was concerned when I noticed two different pairs of her underwear had particularly dirty discharge and even maybe a little bit of blood spots intermixed. I asked her about this and she was completely unaware. No itching, burning, or irritation reported by my daughter. She is much too mortified to see a dr about this. I'm tempted to just assume it's nothing since there are no other symptoms. Would appreciate any insight. (fyi, only other "symptoms" my daughter complains of on a regular and ongoing basis are very frequent and painful leg aches (we attribute them to growing pains but they seem a bit extreme to me) and frequent stomach aches.)

Oh, of note, I asked her about her wiping habit and she did not know she should be wiping front to back.
Would like to clarify that the discharge definitely looks greenish.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginal infection

Detailed Answer:
The possible causes for her discharge are :
- Vaginal infection. This can be due to improper personal hygiene, sharing the rest rooms etc.
-Worm infestation, constipation etc can lead to increased vaginal discharge.
-Accidentally keeping foreign bodies inside etc.
So better to consult gynecologist once and let her examine the child.
After examination, if needed go for vaginal swab culture and sensitivity.
By this the possible causative organism can be identified and treated.
If constipation is there that can be treated by using laxatives and worm infestation needs antihelmenthic drugs.
Let her make a habit of taking bath and changing inner wear twice a day.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.