Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Noticed traces of blood on the glands of penis. Could I ask a doctor?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9587 Questions
Yesterday, after I showered and toweled off, I noticed very small traces of blood on the glans of my penis. Later in the day, at a time when I was very hot and sweaty, I checked and there was again tiny traces. Today, after showering and toweling off it was there again. It is not coming from the urethra, it seems to just be surfacing from the skin of the glans. There is no blood in my urine or ejaculate, I have no problems with urination, and I have no sores, blisters or warts on my genital area. I did have unprotected sex twice a couple months ago with a female friend who I know to have had unprotected sex with other men. Two or three weeks after these sexual encounters, I had a soaking night sweat, but it only lasted one night and my lymph nodes never swelled, so I though nothing of it. I do not have insurance, and it will be at least a month or two before I will have the money to see a doctor.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

You have noticed small traces of blood on your glans penis very recently,

In absence of any urinary symptoms and symptoms of STD like discharge ,itching or haemospermia it is most likely to be an isolated episode of minimal infection of the glans penis
(Ballanitis) or due to friction of glans against towel.

Though you had history of unprotected sex with a woman who has sexual relations with other men in absence of any symptoms of STD it is unlikely to be either STD or HIV.However you can get basic tests for STD and screening test for HIV done to allay your anxiety.

In the mean while Please take broad spectrum antibiotics along with anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to clean your genitals with warm water twice daily.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor