Noticed increasing in AST and ALT level. What could be going on?

Dr. Radhakrishna Patta

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Yes I have a question about my liver enzymes. Since September my ast & alt levels are rising first results in sept were 45/58 then nov 56/68 today they were 144/156, CBC was normal and my cmp was normal except for these ast/alt levels. What could be going on? Could this be cancer? I'm worried
Answered by Dr. Radhakrishna Patta 2 hours later
Dear,

Progressively increasing liver enzymes suggest some ongoing inflammation / damage to the liver. This can be due to many reasons the commonest being Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C infection. The other common cause is consumption of alcohol.

For a better understanding of your liver function I need to know the entire liver function test reports including serum bilirubin total, direct and indirect values, SGOT, SGPT, Serum Alkaline Phosphatase, GGTP and serum albumin.

You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

You need to get tested for Hep B and Hep C viruses.

Cancer is very unlikely in your case and I can give a definitive answer to your question only after I go through the test reports I have just mentioned.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E