Owl Image

Noticed fast heart rate and fluttering in chest. Family history of cardiac disease. Worrisome

Question
I am 59 yr old female good overall health, exercise regularly am 5 ft 2inc tall weigh 114 lbs. Have noticed at rest increase in heart rate with what feels like palpitations or flutter in my chest and lower pulse rate. Example last night HR was 88 pulse 62. Have a family history of cardiac disease. Mother died at 53 of arthrosclerotic heart disease.
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Heart is affected by various external factors. Over weight and family history of heart illness increase the risks of heart disease. I have gone through the details submitted and my comments are as follows:

1. Based on your height & weight which you had mentioned your BMI is 20.8 - This fall within normal range. So your weight is not a risk factor to have a heart disease.

2. A pulse rate of 62 per minute is normal and the normal Pulse rate/ heart rate is between 50 – 100 beats per minute. The rate is not constant and is greatly affected by exercise, stress, injury and illness. Therefore clinically heart rate below 100 is not considered significant. However since you have other symptoms and as your mother died at 53, due to atherosclerosis, it would be better to be evaluated and rule out any smallest chances of heart disease.

Therefore I would advise you to get your ECG done at the time when you have these symptoms of palpitation or flutter. Based on the ECG (electrocardiogram) the exact diagnosis can be made.

In the interim try some relaxation techniques that will help to relieve any stress.

I hope I had answered your query. In case you have any further questions, I will be happy to help you.