Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

144 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed fast heart rate and fluttering in chest. Family history of cardiac disease. Worrisome

Answered by
Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1997

Answered : 274 Questions

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I am 59 yr old female good overall health, exercise regularly am 5 ft 2inc tall weigh 114 lbs. Have noticed at rest increase in heart rate with what feels like palpitations or flutter in my chest and lower pulse rate. Example last night HR was 88 pulse 62. Have a family history of cardiac disease. Mother died at 53 of arthrosclerotic heart disease.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Heart is affected by various external factors. Over weight and family history of heart illness increase the risks of heart disease. I have gone through the details submitted and my comments are as follows:

1. Based on your height & weight which you had mentioned your BMI is 20.8 - This fall within normal range. So your weight is not a risk factor to have a heart disease.

2. A pulse rate of 62 per minute is normal and the normal Pulse rate/ heart rate is between 50 – 100 beats per minute. The rate is not constant and is greatly affected by exercise, stress, injury and illness. Therefore clinically heart rate below 100 is not considered significant. However since you have other symptoms and as your mother died at 53, due to atherosclerosis, it would be better to be evaluated and rule out any smallest chances of heart disease.

Therefore I would advise you to get your ECG done at the time when you have these symptoms of palpitation or flutter. Based on the ECG (electrocardiogram) the exact diagnosis can be made.

In the interim try some relaxation techniques that will help to relieve any stress.

I hope I had answered your query. In case you have any further questions, I will be happy to help you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Relaxation techniques

doctor1 MD

I'm having recurring sharp pains in my head. Seems to be behind right eye and radiates to top of head. Pain is fleeting, but head feels strange after. Should I be concerned. First pain hit at around 3:30 this afternoon. Have had four in the past...

doctor1 MD

I had a cycle scan of my abdomen and pelvis without oral contrast , but both before and after the uneventful administration of intravenous contrast utilizing a split bolus technique in the nephrogenic and excetory phase of contrast enhancement. ...

doctor1 MD

My scalp has been sensitive to the touch for 2 months. No rash , sores or headaches . Had 35 ECT sessions a few years ago. Could sensitive scalp be related to any brain problem? XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing worse sinus allergy symptoms than usual for past 2 days. Unable to sleep last night due to feelings of intense anxiety (unusual for me). Shortness of breath all day today with very sharp pain under left shoulder blade, not relieved by change of position or by relaxation exercises. It hurts very much to take a breath so I keep having to yawn as chest is tight (hurts a lot to yawn!). My job is physically active but walking is tiring today.

doctor1 MD

have sevre anxiety, i cannot drive a car, i am on disability due to my emotional irreluulations and mild agoraphobia, my anxiety has recently started taking control of my body to the point where i have to lay on the ground and wait for all my muscles to sieze spasms, ive had 2 heartattack at the age of 18. and i feel like these are all sympotms of a bigger problem, i need help before its to late.

doctor1 MD

I'm a 54 year old female who has been under a lot of stress. Recently I have been noticing weird things. I start reading articles in the middle or the end. Last night while reading a book I started reading sentences backwards. What could this possible be a sign of?

doctor1 MD

I have a son in his forties who has always had a "short fuse". He can go from OK to suddenly swearing, acting irrational and spiteful. He has tried drugs for depression over the years - to no avail. We are desperate as it is tearing his family apart. Please help