Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Not able to open mouth, avoiding spicy food. Chewed Gutkha for long. Suggest treatment?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
Hi , its been 4 months now but still i m not able to open my mouth i m avoiding spicy food as well. i chewed Gutkha for a very long time and now ,not able to open my mouth wide. although i quite chewing it . , I don't want any surgery is there any treatment for that..
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral submucous fibrosis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

It is appreciative to know that you have stopped the habit of chewing Guthka.

The symptoms mentioned in your post is indicative of Oral submucous fibrosis.
In this condition, there is increased formation of fibrotic bands in the oral mucosa due to prolonged irritant action of Guthka.

The treatment of patients with oral submucous fibrosis depends on the degree of clinical involvement.

A. If the disease is detected at a very early stage, cessation of the habit causes reversal of the symptoms.
General measures include:
1. Maintaining proper oral hygiene.
2. Supplementing the diet with foods XXXXXXX in vitamins A, B complex, and C and iron.
3. Avoid alcohol and hot fluids like tea, coffee.

B. Medical treatment is symptomatic and predominantly aimed at improving mouth movements.
The modalities include:
1. Submucosal injections of corticosteroids.
2. Placental extract
3. Hyaluronidase
4. Antifibrotic cytokine like IFN-gamma
5. Lycopene & Pentoxifylline

C. However, if it is detected at a late stage, the condition becomes irreversible.
Surgical treatment is recommended in cases of progressive fibrosis.
It ranges from simple excision of the fibrous bands, laser release to creation of Nasolabial flaps.

So, kindly consult an ENT specialist for a proper clinical examination.
The management modality will depend on the severity of the condition.
A biopsy of the lesion will be helpful in this regard.
Till then, kindly follow the general measures & continue abstinence from chewing Guthka & consumption of spicy foods.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Not able to open mouth, avoiding spicy food. Chewed Gutkha for long. Suggest treatment? 3 hours later
how can i judge the stage .
what does proper oral hygiene includes..
does smoking effects this
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. The stage will be determined by the ENT specialist based on clinical examination & biopsy (if needed)
2. Oral hygiene includes regular cleaning of teeth & oral cavity, use of mouthwash & gargles, make sure that the mouth & oral cavity does not remain dry and avoid consumption of substances irritating to the oral mucosa.
3. Though the condition is caused due to chewing of tobacco or guthka, studies have also shown smoking to have indirect effects.
So, it is advisable to avoid smoking.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.
If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.
I will be happy to answer them.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Not able to open mouth, avoiding spicy food. Chewed Gutkha for long. Suggest treatment? 44 minutes later
can u suggest me any good ENT specialist in bangalore
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

You can consult Dr. Sriram XXXXXXX ENT specialist in Bangalore. He is one of the elite panelists on XXXXXXX The doctor has good reviews as well. Here is the link to his profile.

Hope this helps you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor