Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Neck fractured in an accident. Had shoulder operation and injured lower back. CT scan done. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
Hi there, I had a serve car accident in 2010 i fractured my neck in 2 place and ive had an operation on my L shoulder and injuried my lower back i had a CT done today on my back and here are the results:
There is a left posterolateral disc protrusion at L5/S1 causing slight thecal sac indention and moderate right sided exit foraminal narrowing with contact to the exiting nerve root.
At L4/5 there is a generalised annular bulge causing slight thecal sac indentation.

Can u help me im on number of tablets:
Valpro 200
Moxicam 15
Tramedo 50mg

Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of a degenerative disc problem at the level of L5-S1. There is minimal compression of the nerve fibers. These are age related degenerative changes and are not likely to be related to the trauma you had.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You are already taking adequate analgesics. You can get the proper muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and the symptoms are gradually worsening.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor