question-icon

Can neuroforaminal compromise on left side with impingement exiting L5 nerve roots cause imbalance?

Posted on Thu, 5 Oct 2017
Question: Can I ask if you have a moderate degree of neuroforaminal compromise worse on left side with possible impingment of both exiting L5 nerve roots. Can this affect your walking and balance? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
VERY RARE POSSIBILITY

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Moderate amount of neuroforaminal compromise with impingement of nerve roots should cause some amount of pain and/or tingling numbness in the back and legs.

It should not cause difficulty in walking or imbalance unless the disease is quite old one with severe impingement/compression of the nerve roots or thecal sac.

Other causes of imbalance like brain disorders,cerebellar ataxia,small brain affections,motor neuron disease etc should be ruled out.

You should consult a neurophysician and get electromyography and nerve conduction velocities of the lower limbs done to come to exact diagnosis.

You can share the MRI report here so that i can guide you better.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon