Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Moderate drinker and smoker. Want to quit. What are the health check ups done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
I have been a moderate drinker/smoker for about a decade. I want to quit now. But i also want to know what health checkups should i get done to take stock?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well first thing i would suggest you to enroll yourself in drug deaddiction centre that will help you out in overcoming this problem in every aspect . Regarding medical therapy Acamprosate, disulfiram and topiramate are used to treat alcohol addiction. Nicotine chewing gums are helpful in smoking deaddiction
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, Multidimensional family therapy, Motivational interviewing etc are used in behavioral therapy to protect from relapse .

You should get your routine blood tests like CBC , urine r/m , RBS done to get base line evaluation . A chest X XXXXXXX is needed to look for lung condition . A complete liver function test including gamma GGT is required specially for alcohol evaluation as liver is the first organ to be damaged by alcohol . A USG abdomen to look for fatty liver changes is also required.

Hope it suffices .

Wish you good health .

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Moderate drinker and smoker. Want to quit. What are the health check ups done? 3 minutes later
I am looking specifically for the tests i should do to check the extent of damage...wherever its possible.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Dear madam ,

Thanks for getting back .

Well the tests which I have mentioned cover a general outline for damage evaluation . Further tests are required only when these report an abnormality .

Like if there are any changes in Chest X XXXXXXX further pulmonary function tests can be done for looking any signs of COPD . Liver elastography can be done to look for signs of early cirrhosis. But i dont think they are required at present.

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor