What do wheezing, breathlessness, voice change, coughing and choking sensations indicate post eye surgery?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health
Question: During surgery, breathing became almost impossible; wheezing, struggling for breath, change in voice quality,diagnosis after cat scan was that one side of my voice box was extremely small compared to the other side.; almost intubated, but easier breathing after about two hours in emergency room. Bad cough, hoarseness, shortnessof breath. Still a problem three days after surgery (on eye, not related to throat or voice box. Have change in quality of voice and lots of coughing and choking. Can you help?

no allergies, no COPD,
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should resolve soon

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic. I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern.

It seems that the breathing difficulty and wheezing developed due an allergic component (even if you otherwise do not have allergies or COPD). Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication and the condition should gradually improve. Taking Montair LC tablet (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) once daily for the next few days should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be used instead. Also take steam inhalation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana