Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Missed period, exhausted and very emotional. But negative pregnancy test. What now?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
missed period, exhausted and very emotional. But negative pregnancy test.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Home pregnancy tests detect the presence of the hormone hCG(a glycoprotein hormone secreted by the developing placenta shortly after fertilization. ) in a woman's urine. It can detect pregnancy almost correctly if the test is done after 1 week-10 days after you miss your periods.

However sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test (blood pregnancy test) done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

I suggest you to get your serum HCG levels checked to confirm the status of your pregnancy or get an ultrasound uterus done which can confirm early pregnancy after 4-5 weeks gestation.

If pregnancy is ruled out then we need to investigate the other medical conditions causing missed periods. The causes may include conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland. It could be hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome, increased stress, eating disorder, increased smoking, alcohol or caffeine use, PCOS, fibroid, polyps and endometriosis or less frequently due to pituitary conditions.

If pregnancy is completely ruled out then these causes should be investigated by a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor