Medical abortion done. Faint line seen on pregnancy test after unprotected sex. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I had a medical (non-surgical) abortion at 8.6 weeks one month ago, and very much regret the decision. I bled for about 3 weeks. I am 38 years old and this was my first pregnancy that I am aware of. I am wondering how fertile I would be following this abortion, as I know one of the drugs is a progesterone blocker. The abortion took place during the week (November 5th and 6th for drug administration) which is the week I would have normally had my period had I not been pregnant. And now I am nearing that time again. My boyfriend and I have definitely had unprotected sex, but I am still wondering what my conception chances would be after taking that drug and with all of the bleeding I had. I am still getting (as of two days ago), a faint but definitely positive pregnancy test, and am wondering if that could still be residual hCG from the initial pregnancy or if it's possible that I got pregnant again, which would seem like a miracle after all that bleeding.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
After the medical termination with mifepristone, it takes 4-6 weeks for the ovulation to resume normally again. The faint positive urine test is likely to be due to the residual HCG in your blood from your previous pregnancy.
You are likely to have a period one month from the date of abortion. It is advisable to avoid pregnancy for at least six months after taking mifepristone due to the hormonal disturbances caused by the medicine.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr. Tayal,

They didn't tell me anything about the mifepristone affecting ovulation. Could you elaborate a little more and explain to me what the hormonal disturbances are that are caused by this medication, and why waiting six months is advised? I have a nursing background so I can probably understand a bit more "medical talk" than usual. This was just an incredibly poor decision, and I may not want to wait that long, but of course, it isn't up to me. Is there anything to be done? For example I hear some women take progesterone supplements of some sort, but I know nothing about it or how to go about doing that.

Also, I have heard that there is a period of increased fertility after miscarriage or abortion. Do you mind describing that? Perhaps that is only true with a natural miscarriage?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Mifeprstone is anti progesteronic in action and decreases the growth of endometrial lining- decreases chances of implantation. It has been seen that it is more likely to be associated with missed abortion during the first 3 months after abortion. Since it is a long acting drug, its effect sometimes stays in system for that long.
Also after an abortion, you should give your body to recover properly.
Taking progesterone supplements are recommended only if there is an irregular vaginal bleeding. To bring back your normal hormonal balance, you can take oral contraceptives for next 1 or 2 cycles.
The period of increased fertility after abortion is associated with a natural abortion.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 hours later
I really wish they had told me that. What a mistake. The counselor tried to send me home twice. Currently, just about a month out, my hcg level is still 118. But you doubt it is a new pregnancy correct? So the only recommendation for regulating my fertility is to actually go on an oral contaceptive of some kind for 2-3 cycles? I do have some symptoms after my last unprotected intercourse 9 days ago. Watery brown discharge and frequent urination, but that is all.

Thanks again and sorry to bother you one last time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
HCG levels of 118 one month after a medical abortion is likely to be due to new pregnancy.
You can get your levels tested again after a week to confirm it. Till then you can start with folic acid supplements.
Regards.