Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Is tightness in chest,freezing,cold hand,congestion and indigestion a serious concern in a BP patient?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi! My dad is 73 and is a diabetic but controls with his diet. He was a doctor about 2 weeks ago and blood, EKG & Echocardiogram all came back normal. He takes 2 baby aspirin a day and medicine for high blood pressure. 2 days ago he got really upset and had tightness in his chest. He sat down, relaxed, and calmed down and pain went away after a few minutes. Since then he has been complaining for freezing, cold hand, congestion (chest cold), and indigestion. He takes his blood pressure everyday and his BPM is under 60 today, at 55. Should I be concerned? He doesn't want to go back to doctors since he just went but I feel there are 2 many things that don't se right. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Brief Answer: urgently review to a local physician and treat Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to healthcare Magic! You are absolutely right. Your father is having significant symptoms in view of his back ground of hypertension. He should be taken to hospital as soon as possible because time lapsed affects the outcome. He may have cardiac ischemia or a chest infection in the root cause of such symptoms and in the elderly both diseases should be investigated and treated emergently. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is tightness in chest,freezing,cold hand,congestion and indigestion a serious concern in a BP patient? 46 minutes later
Hi! It is 3:00am a d he is sleeping. If i wake up mu parents they are going to ne freaked out as they have already gotten mad at me because i mentioned somethkng may be wrong. Im afraid if i wake up it might increase his stress. Im so upset because i dont know what to do. I
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better wait till morning for evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome back. If he is sleeping peacefully then may be the problems are not severe because very sick patient's can't rest like that. I think you can wait till morning and save yourself from the rebuke. Motivate him to get evaluated coming morning. I hope he will get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is tightness in chest,freezing,cold hand,congestion and indigestion a serious concern in a BP patient? 11 minutes later
Thank you! He slept peacefully last night and tonight. He stated his chest does not feel tight anymore as it just felt tight when he was upset for those few minutes. He said he feels he just has congestion. He hates going to doctors and gets very very nervous about going to doctors so this is very hard for me to figure out as he is being difficult. If his BPM is 55 is that too low or a normal. I dont want to upset him as that may make hos situation worse so trying to figure out. I will encourage him to go to his doctor tomorrow. Is it common to get a congestion after tightness in chest? If he feels cold then what does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Better to get evaluation Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. No one on this earth wants to fall sick and for that very reason hardly anyone wants to go to a hospital or see a doctor but the problem is that if a disease is left untreated then it may affect the health adversely and the outcome will not be as salutary as it could have been. The heart rate of 55 beats per minute can be acceptable in elderly person if he's able to maintain his blood pressure and he is not under stress. In case of your father who is having chest tightness which naturally should increase the beats per minute but he is having only 55 bpm despite chest problem that indicates his poor cardiac reserve. It will be better that you council him to see a doctor as soon as possible. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor