Is there a blood test to determine serotonin levels?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: is there a blood test you can get done to check seretonin levels ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, one available , used to diagnose carcinoid syndrome

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is a blood test for serotonin but it is mostly used in persons who are suspected of having carcinoid syndrome. It is used to diagnose this condition.

It is not usually used outside of this setting.

If a person is suspected of having toxicity due to SSRI or medications that raise serotonin levels then a host of investigations are done but even then this test may not be included.

I hope this helps, feel fee to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
why dont they do it for people who have depression ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
depression is monitored based on symptoms and sign changes

Detailed Answer:
HI

Depression is monitored mainly by checking on person's symptoms and signs to see if there is any improvement with the medication.

Even if serotonin levels are increased but the person is not showing any clinical improvement then the medication may need adjustment

Or a person may have no significant change in level but some change in mood and outlook so it is mainly monitoring changes in behavior, mood, sleep , appetite etc

Please feel free to ask anything else