question-icon

Is shingles contagious?

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017
Question: Is shingles contagious? At what point is it ok to be around people?
How long should I wait to get the vaccine after rash is gone?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Shingles is not contagious!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully.

1. Shingles is not contagious. You cannot get shingles by being around someone who hasn’t had it before. However, if the person beside you has never had chicken pox before or is vaccinated against chicken pox, they may rather develop chicken pox. They cannot develop shingles by being around someone with shingles.

2. 6-12months is the recommended wait period after a recent shingle episode before getting a vaccine for shingles.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Chobufo Ditah