Is pregnancy possible through intercourse after an abortion?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I had a surgical abortion 3.5 weeks ago. I was 7.5 weeks pregnant. I had sexual intercourse but only for 2 "pumps" if you will because I realized I was being dumb but he fingered me. I took the morning after pill just in case...am I at risk for an infection or pregnancy? My hCG levels at 1.5 weeks after my abortion was 740.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is hardly any possibility of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I appreciate your concerns.

The morning after pill if taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex, is 95% effective in preventing pregnancy. So there is hardly any possibility of pregnancy. However since this method is not 100% effective, if you do not start your period in two weeks time , get a pregnancy test done.

The hCG hormone remains in the blood for quite some time (3-4 weeks) after abortion. So there is no need to check its level after abortion.

If you are in a monogamous relationship, and your partner is free from STD then there is no risk of STD. Otherwise with unprotected sex there is always a risk of STD.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 9 hours later
Is my cervix still too open and can get an infection from the guys fingers?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unprotected sexual intercourse can cause infection.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.
No, the cervix remains closed, once the abortion process is complete. Guys fingering does not cause infection. Unprotected sexual intercourse can cause infection.

If you have further concerns, do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 47 hours later
I had my abortion July 1st. When can I expect my next period?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get your period in the first week of August

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.

The first period after abortion may be irregular. However you should get your period in the first week of August.

If you further concerns, do write to me.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad