Is pregnancy possible post unprotected sex despite having irregular periods?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello ! I am 19 years old. I and my boyfriend had unprotected sex today , 6 days after my period ended and I just want to know that is there any necessity to take an I-pill after the unprotected sex or is it okay? My periods are generally irregular and I have had unprotected sex many times before but ever got pregnant. Could you please help.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The chances of pregnancy with unprotected sex is there.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
The chances of pregnancy have always been there with unprotected sex.
It is your good luck that you are spare every time after unprotected sex.
But in my opinion please always do protected sex in future to prevent pregnancy and as well as STD.
It is not necessary to take I-pill every time after unprotected sex to prevent pregnancy but yes in your case the chances of pregnancy are there, so you can take I-pill with in 72 hrs.after sex.
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 hours later
When can I have unprotected sex and not need an I-pill? What are the chances that I'll get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No period is considered safe period.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

No period is considered 100% safe for unprotected sex but you should always use precaution during your most fertile period.
That is considered 5-7 days before and 1-2 days after ovulation.
Because ovulation is unpredictable so the safe period calculation is also very difficult.

However the days before menses can be considered quite safe.

The chances of pregnancy is only 28% in each normal cycle. You can lower the chance through contraception methods.

Hope it is useful.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Thank you. I'm having one last question. Is it necessary that after taking an I-pill there will be bleeding within 5-7 days? And is the bleeding the normal menstruation cycle? Can I get pregnant if I had sex in this time? Please answer to all of my questions.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can get pregnant.

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome.
It is not necessary that everyone have this withdrawal bleeding.
It is not menstruation, it is called withdrawal bleeding a side effect of I-pill.
Yes, you may get pregnant during this period.
I-PILL cannot protect from pregnancy when sex occurs after intake of I-pill.
Hope I have answered all your questions and if you want to close the discussion kindly accept my answers before closing it( if found useful).
Thanks.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 50 minutes later
Hello again , there is one small question again. What if after taking an I-pill I had sex on the 5th or 6th day and got the withdrawal bleeding the same day or the next day , are there chances of getting pregnant then also? I don't think withdrawal bleeding releases any egg for fertilisation?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,the chances are very low.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Sorry for the long delay in my response.
Yes, you are right , the chances of pregnancy are very low in this situation because there is no endometrium for implantation of ovum.
Hope it is useful .
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor ! I can have unprotected sex during this time then? And is the I-pill harmful for a girl of my age? The last time I had taken the pill was 2 months ago or more. Is there any harm? I heard that it damages the ovarian tube.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, I-pill is considered safe for 25-35 yrs.age women.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are most welcome.
Yes, you can do unprotected sex during this period but I would not suggest it for you because you may get other infection also during unprotected sex, so better go for protected sex always.
I-pill is not recommended at your age, it is useful between 25-35 yrs.of age.
So better you should not go for it.
Hope it is useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 10 minutes later
But as I told you that I had unprotected sex 6 days after my period got ended. I am left with no option other than having an I- pill. In that case what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you have to take I-pill.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Yes, this time you have to take I-pill but from next time please take either regular method of contraception or you should always do protected sex.
Do not take I-pill so frequently.
As you may develop menstrual irregularities.
Hope it is useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 minutes later
Does this I-pill damage my Ovarian tube if taken after 2-3 months? I am very concerned about it. I don't want anything to happen to my body.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it may cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Yes,you are right, it may cause damage to your fallopian tube.
The reason behind is it contains high doses of hormone progesterone in it which may cause decrease motility of fallopian tube and cause ectopic pregnancy.
So please use regular method of low doses of hormonal pills or other methods of contraception rather use I- pill.
Hope it is useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 minutes later
Okay thankyou again !! Today would be the 3rd time that I'lll be taking the I-pill. Last time I took it in Feb. As you said that today it is necessary for me to take the I-pill so will it cause any damage? Should I skip it or take it?
Brief Answer:
You should go for it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are most welcome.
You should go for it and it will not cause much damage because it is the period near your fertile days so the chances of pregnancy are there.
Hope it is useful.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 minutes later
Thankyou so much doctor !! You are a life saviour. Thank you again. It was nice talking to you.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are most welcome and I am always here to help you.
Thanks for your kind words.
If you want to close the discussion and you have no further queries kindly accept my answer ( if found useful) before closing it.
Thanks.
Good luck.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN