Is pregnancy possible despite taking Plan-B?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: here is my story. been on bc for 4 years. i was on bactrim for 7 days. 7 days after stopping bactrim I had protected sex, which was about 5 days after my period ended and day 5 of active pills. I am hoping nothing went wrong with condom.

on day 15 and 16 of active pills, had unprotected sex. freaked about and the morning of day 18, got plan b. I have 2 more active pills left. I had back pain and stomach pain during the night.

does this look like being pregnant? or was i fine without plan b?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are safe

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
There was actually no need for plan-b at all as you were already 16 pills through and you were well protected considering ovulation would not have occurred. The back pain and stomach pain can be due to PMS symptoms where high dose progesterone of ipill would have caused the withdrawal symptoms.
You may wait for few days and your withdrawal shall start.
You are pregnancy safe.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 minutes later
ok. I have 2 more active pills. I usually start my period on day 3 of inactive pills. in general, does bactrim affect bc
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
Yes bacterium does decreases the efficiency of bc if used for more than 5 days but as you used protection the first time , so chances are anyhow less.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 4 minutes later
for the future, how long after antiobioic should one wait
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
After an antibiotic course you should practice barrier contraception for at least 10 days and continue the pills to avoid pregnancy chances..