How long do Citalopram withdrawal symptoms last?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi there. I have been on an SSRI(Citalopram) for 9 months. My highest dose was 20mg per day. I have tapered off slowly over a period of 5 months. I quit entirely one week ago and my withdrawal side effects include some anxiety, tiredness(lack of motivation), brain zaps and some dizziness. Is this normal and generally how long do these withdrawal side effects last?
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is normal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I tead your query and understand your concerns.

The withdrawal symptoms experienced by you are quite normal and most of use experience them to some extent.

Although typically withdrawal symptoms may ladt for four weeks but in your case I do not think they will lost longer than two weeks.

My statement is based on the fact that you gradually tapered citslopram over the last five months so the severity and durationwill be less.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.