Can Clonazepam be taken at nighttime before discontinuing to prevent addiction to it?

Question
Hi there. I have recently stopped using Citalopram. I was on it for 9 months and tapered off slowly over a period of 5 months. I am getting the usual withdrawal symptoms....dizzy, brain zaps, low mood and low motivation. The most troubling is the inability to fall asleep. I was told that before bed I could use 0.5 mg of Clomazepan. Is this safe to use for a month or two while my brain adjusts to the cessation of an SSRI? I do not want to become addicted to a Benzodiazapene.
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Yes, it is safe to use clonazepam for up to 8 weeks before it should be discontinued. Using it within this time frame reduces the risk of addiction substantially. This should be safe.

Dr. Sheppe

Follow-up: Can Clonazepam be taken at nighttime before discontinuing to prevent addiction to it? 41 minutes later
Hi again. I have read various forums on the internet detailing horror stories about people trying to withdraw from/quit Citalopram and other SSRI'S. Am a bit worried. I tapered from 20mg to 15mg to 12.5 to 10 to 8 to 5 to 3 mg and then quit...allowing about 4 weeks between each dosage drop. I quit just over a week ago and of course still have withdrawal symptoms. In your opinion, did I taper too quickly? I have constant pressure feeling in my head and a slight headache. Is this normal and should pass within a couple of weeks?

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

This is a very reasonable and even slow taper. I would expect your symptoms to improve within a couple of weeks, indeed.

Dr. Sheppe