Is pregnancy possible despite taking Minastrin 24 FE?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello,
I had unprotected sex on anywhere from day 7 of my cycle to day 11. Not really sure because I'm not totally sure what did my period started in April. My partner did pull out and I took emergency contraception the following day. I took 4 Minastrin FE 24 twice twelve hours apart as recommended to prevent pregnancy. This all happened on may 5. I normally have an average of a 30 day cycle, but it has been much shorter at time. I never felt like I ovulated because I normally have ovulation pain. I had no egg white cervical mucous either. Yesterday I started cramping and today I am still cramping and having brown spotting. It's normal for me to have brown spotting a day or two before my period. How likely is it that I got pregnant? Is it possible for the ECP to cause my period to come earlier? Please help! Thank you
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Negligible chances of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your anxiety related to the issue.
There seems negligible chance of pregnancy because -
- you had sexual activity far away from ovulation time
- he pulled out and thus didn't ejaculated inside vagina
- you took emergency contraception within desired interval of time.
It is common to have irregular periods following emergency pill intake so this early onset of brownish discharge is most likely due to that only.
Just wait for your full flow of periods which you will get soon.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 51 minutes later
Is it as effective as plan b or other morning after pills since I used the birth control Minastrin 24 FE as EC? That's what I was told to do since I already had those pills. I took 4 in the morning and 4 more 12 hours later. I do not take them regularly. My doctor just gave them to me for samples because of some pain and cramping I had been having and I never took them. That was about 3 months ago.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost as effective as other pills

Detailed Answer:
Yes mam, these are almost as effective as morning after pill but have more chances of irregular periods.
So all in all nothing to worry and just wait for your periods in full flow.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Thank you. I am so nervous. I have been shaking all day long.

The brown spotting has almost gone away. What does this mean?!?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine pregnancy test for conclusive proof

Detailed Answer:
I know has it is especially when you have already completed your family.
But don't worry as there is no risk of pregnancy and in case you want conclusive proof just do a urine pregnancy test which will be negative and give you loads reassurance.
This subsidence of brownish discharge has no significance, just wait for your periods which can come anytime now.
All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 11 hours later
Thank you. I thought my period might come today, but it hasn't! I'll just be glad when this is all over and I will never let it happen again.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Copper T insertion advised

Detailed Answer:
That is a wise decision indeed.
And in my opinion you can opt for copper T insertion in your next cycle and thus can be free from the anxiety of contraception and thus relax and enjoy your personal life.
In case you need any information related to it in future you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/drmanishajain
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN