Is lighter coloration of the nipples indicative of pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I've noticed over the last few days that my areolae has faded in color. I'm supposed to start a new cycle on Saturday, but I've often been irregular. My husband and I are trying for another baby. Could the lightening be an indication that I didn't conceive? Is this lightening normal?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The color of the areolae is usually due to higher levels of hormones. After discontinuing nursing, usually the color fades quickly. Have you been nursing and recently stopped?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
No. it's been 2 yes since I've had my last child. we are trying to conceive. I'm just wondering if pale or non existent areola coloring is normal and if it's any indication on if I've conceived or not. I'm not due for my next cycle until Saturday.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
It is possible that you didn't conceive but areola coloring isn't a for sure sign or not of early pregnancy. Some women don't have nipple darkening for some time after conceiving.

Often, pale areola mean that your hormones are lower and that might be what is going on if you are due for your period and did not conceive, but that isn't a 100 percent for sure statement.

I know that it can be very frustrating, particularly with irregular cycles, to conceive. You probably already know that best chances to conceive are around mid cycle, but if cycles are irregular that makes it harder. If you can tell that your mucus is becoming thinner and more copious, that is a good sign of ovulatory time. Ask your husband to abstain from any sexual activity during that time to help increase his sperm count, and then have intercourse every other day during that time.

I hope this information helps.

If the nipple color remains abnormally light for you, then do go in to see your doctor, but most of the time it is nothing to worry about.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
The thing is, I've been having the usual pregnancy symptoms: extreme fatigue, nausea, frequent urination, cravings and aversions, CF keeps bouncing back and forth between type 2 and type 1, cramps/pelvic pain, mood swings. Could this be a cruel PMS joke?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Usually nausea doesn't start until around week 6 of pregnancy. If you conceived this month's cycle, it would probably be too early for morning sickness to have set in, but everyone is different. Similarly, cravings and aversions usually come on later too. It really isn't possible to tell if you are pregnant based on these symptoms, but give it a few more days and then take a pregnancy test.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh