Is lack of erection during imagination a cause for concern?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: Am a person who always gets erection,i had a gf and i too had a good erection and good masturbation,even i can fantasize things for masturbation,earlier when i see porn or whn i thnk about moments with gf i gets erection,i wont smoke .drink or drugs,even i do exercizes and i hv a perfecf weight,now its been a year i hv been facing some problems,even am a person who is having anxiety and depression fr mre than a year,so now the problem
Is tht when i watch porn or when i imagine i wnt get erection,but whn i masturbate or touch then it penis will be erected,i gets pleasure while masturbate but whn i imagine things i wont get complete erection,but ifi just touch and masturbate then it wil be erected,am nt getting erection without touching on ma penis,even am feeling depressed,i take things veru seriousy,even am tryinh to imagine things then also not working out,whether am suffering frm any diease?am always thinking about this,and i always masturbate three to four times
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you are absolutely normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

You are getting erection on touching and can enjoy the masturbation. This means your sexual organs are working fine.
When boy enters the age of puberty initially he gets erection even on thinking or seeing some erotic stimuli. As age increases gradually sensitivity of penis reduces to such stimuli naturally. It helps in prevention of erection in some social situation as well as in preventing premature ejaculation problem during sex. What you think is not a problem but it is normal thing. No need to worry about the same at all.
FYI:
Masturbation is natural and normal thing. It is done by 95% of the males in the world, mostly before marriage as well as when wife is away, in menses or pregnant after marriage. It is not at all harmful. Frequency of masturbation done by an individual varies from once a day to once a week. It depends upon individual libido, wish and timing. It neither causes any weakness nor any problem in sexual activity.
3-4 times per day is somewhat more frequency as it consumes calorie and time. I recommend reducing it.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 minutes later
Because basically am a person who having depression and anxiety,so i knowingly imagine things and to see whether penis gets erected without touching,it makes me tensed and depressed,so am aware tht whether i will be erected when am with my wife,whether i cant enjoy ma sexual life?wther ma penis is having any disfunction?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you will have normal sex life

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up and sorry for delayed response.

You can masturbate well. Masturbation and sex are different approaches of achieving same goal with somewhat different mechanism. In masturbation stimulation occurs by hand while in sex it occurs by smooth friction with vagina. If you can do masturbation, you can do sex well.
Whenever you will be with your wife, with foreplay you can get erection and proceed for sex.
Your penis is absolutely fine. Just relax and do not think actively about problem. Whenever such thoughts come in your mind, remember my answer that you do not have any problem.

Take care and feel free to ask your doubts.