Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to use dettol or bleach inside vagina?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
What happens if you use neat dettol or bleach inside your vagina I have been using neat bleach for four days and tonight did it with neat dettol
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DO not use these agents inside the vagina

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

It is not advisable to use dettol or bleach inside the vagina. Because these agents may alter the vaginal PH (which is normally acidic), damage the vaginal mucosa, and even cause sloghing (tissue breakdown).

If you are using these agents for unpleasant odor from the vagina, I advise you to kindly stop using this, you can try other cleansing agents which are available in the market like: Feminine wash or vaginal wash lotions or gels.

I also advise you to consult an OBGY specialist if you notice any associated white discharge or itching near the vulval area, mainly to rule out vaginal infection and for a PAP smear (PAP-screening for carcinoma cervix). In that case you might need a course of antibiotics and vaginal antibiotic pessary tablets.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it safe to use dettol or bleach inside vagina? 40 minutes later
Yes but what should I do now I'm in pain in that area no discharge as I did this as a result of being sexually assaulted.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Aloe vera gel can be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern. Presently you need to keep the vaginal area clean and dry. For temporary pain relief apply some pure aloe vera gel locally, this might help you. But, if the pain is persisting or if you notice any abnormal vaginal discharge or bleeding you need to consult your OBGY specialist, mainly to look for any tears inside the vagina due to the sexual assault. There are tests available to rule out sexually transmitted infections.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor