Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the eyes during pregnancy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2018
Jan 2018
Excellent
Question
Dear Madam/Sir

My Wife is 15th week pregnant.She is getting burning sensation in eyes during morning which would be ok for rest of the day she started getting this burning sensation from past 7-8 days and she is having dry eyes.
Could you please let uis know if this is normal during pregnancy or need to take any drops to cure this.
Also apert from Eyes burning Sensation she is getting pain in lower belly when she there is change in position(Sitting , up and down or turning left or right during sleeping)
Please let us know if this is normal else let us know the remedies for the same
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more information. Frequent eye wash. Take rest.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
I welcome you to HCM virtual clinic.
I have gone through your query and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

First of all do not panic.
Early pregnancy is always associated with various non specific symptoms and they vary from person to person.

Your wife's dry eyes, can be the reason for irritation to eyes.
I would like to know few things from you -
Does she have exposure to direct sunlight , wind or prolonged sitting in air conditioned rooms?
All these can lead to dryness of eyes.
This information will help me to suggest you better treatment options.

Secondly,let me know how long she has been getting pain in lower abdomen?
Is it associated with any pressure in the lower abdomen or any urinary symptoms like pressure while passing urine or frequent urination?
Has she recently done any sonography test?
Does that report mention anything about the cervix status?

Till our further communication , I will suggest following things for her -
Frequent eye wash with plain tap water.
Take bed rest.
Do not exert herself.
Not to lift any weights, and avoid bending forwards.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the eyes during pregnancy 3 days later
Sorry for delya in reply.
Ans:-
No exposure to Sunlight,wind.But she would be sitting in air conditioned rooms for around 8 hours while working

Ans:After 14 Weeks she started getting slight pain when position would get changed.

Ans:
No pressure or Frequent Urination

Ans:
No she does not have gone.what is the significance of this test?

Not undergone test.

Also she is having Cold from past 4-5 days does it goes by itself or we have any remedies/tablets to avoid this during pregnancy.

Thanks for your help in advance

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eye drops, USG, anti cold tablet

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

I will suggest that it will be better to adjust moisture control in the air-conditioned room and avoid direct dry cold air blow on the face.
She should wash her eyes with normal tap water and can use simple moisture maintaing eye drops like Eye tone. To start with it can be used 2 hourly for 5 days and then less frequently.

Secondly, USG,- sonography is advisable to know about the condition of the cervical canal and its length.
I will suggest that she should avoid bending over and lifting heavy weights.

For her common cold , I will suggest steam inhalation, and warm saline gargling.
If needed anti cold tablet like Sinarest can be used as needed.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to communicate.

I will highly appreciate if you take some time to write about helpfulness of the answers.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar