What causes severe abdominal pain and cramps during intercourse?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hello. I received my period on Monday evening, which typically lasts three days. I am still bleeding a lot, and have cramps, a sore lower back, as if I were in the middle of my cycle. I am worried, and feel something is off. I did have severe pain last Saturday evening suddenly during intercourse with my boyfriend. I was fine the next morning. Any ideas what I am experiencing?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please exclude polyps and cysts through evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

I have gone through your query and would like to offer my opinion.

Considering your previous menstrual history, the occurrence of pain during intercourse prior to the onset of the current menstrual period and the abnormal bleeding you are experiencing, I would ask you to go for a proper clinical evaluation followed by a pelvic sonogram to exclude cysts on the ovary and polyps of the cervix and uterus.

Meanwhile you can try styptics to control the bleeding. Please maintain adequate hydration and rest with foot end elevation. Antispasmodic medication helps to alleviate the cramps and pain.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.