Is it safe to take Modafinil along with Xanax?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi I feel very tired since I started Modafinil. I have taken xanax before bedtime and wonder if this could increase modafinil or the other way around?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
modafinil is not working in your case

Detailed Answer:

Modafinil is very good for managing chronic fatigue related to depression or otherwise.
In cases where the drug dosent give the desired results or makes the situation worse- is usually due to paradoxical side effets. It is uncommon but may happen like in your case.

If I had been treating you, I would have stopped the drug modafinil.

The two drugs have interaction in the form that aprax would reduce the effect of modafinil and vice versa. None will potentiate the other when taken together. Infact the two drugs should be taken in a gap of few hours.

You took the two of them about 7-10 hrs apart,,so there is not a significant interaction.

Its more a case of modafinil not giving desired results.

Hope the reply helps you.
Feel free to ask more questions for clarification.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
ok. So modafinil should help depression etc? But how long does it take in order to take effect? I feel tired and don't seem to have so much effect on me. And do you mean that xanax won't have an effect on modafinil?
And how exactly does modafinil work? does it get stronger after using it long time or does it become weaker?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
shows effect in few days or in first dose itself

Detailed Answer:

Modafinil usually gives effect within few days itself; within a week or may be with first dose only. So,if its already more than a week then its probably not working or you need to raise the dosage. You haven't mentioned the dosage anywhere in the query.

The effect of modadinil does not increase with time when on the same dosage ...it may however reduce in some cases after some time. The effect increases with increase in its dosage.

Modafinil acts on catecholamine and histaminergic pathways to activate the brain.. by this it helps in increasing wakefulness or reducing lethargy. There are several other mechanisms and exact working of modafinil is not known till date. There are only most widely accepted theories.

The effect of modafinil usually doesn't deteriorate with time; but in some cases this may lead to addiction. However, its addiction potential is far less compared to benzodiazepines.

Yes, in your case xanax almost had no effect on modafinil. Xanax was taken at night and modafinil in day time..so, there was gap of several hours to rule out interaction.

Hope the reply is useful.
Wish you speedy recovery.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist