Is it possible to conceive despite taking depo shots?

Question
I gave birth toy 5th child on XXXXXXX 6. I went in for my 6 week postpartum July 15 and received the depo shot. I haven't had a period yet and am not sure when the shot would be effective. I thought it was immediatley. My husband and I have had unprotected sex several times in the past 12 days since. Yesterday, the 25 I had light brown spotty discharge. I have been on depo before and never spotted or bled. Could I be pregnant? Would it be too early to tell?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
NO CONTRACEPTIVE IS 100 %

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome

DEPO PROVERA IM is a very effective method of contraception. there is less than 1% chance of pregnancy.
when injected IM, it acts immediately after the first shot if given within the first 5 days of menstrual period.

irregular bleeding, amenorrhea, spotting are side effects of this contraceptive which can stress one about the chances of an unplanned pregnancy

But failure can occur with every method of contraception and no one is 100 % reliable in preventing pregnancy.

I would advise you to do a home pregnancy test, to be sure.

let me know if you have any other query
have a nice day
thanks