Is the effect of Etonogestrel implant the same as Depo Provera and Estradiol Valerate?

Psychiatrist
Question
I read research that etonogestrel stop sperm production oin males so is it ok to use etonogestrel implant? Will the effect on males will be the same as estradiol valerate and depo provera? Thanks
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Quite similar

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although it is well known fact that etonorgesterol inhibits spermatogenesis but in addition it inhibits suppression of testosterone synthesis, a male hormone. This additional action is quite different from depo preparations used in females as there are side effects which are unacceptable to any men.

However if testosterone is supplemented during course of etonogestrol depot it can be stated that effect will be similar to provera in women.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Follow-up: Is the effect of Etonogestrel implant the same as Depo Provera and Estradiol Valerate? 17 minutes later
Thanks if i want to reduce testosterone and sexual arousal and urges then its ok for me to take etonogestrel?

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Although it can be taken for limiting sexual arousal and urges but it should never be done in absence of guidance of your doctor.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.

Follow-up: Is the effect of Etonogestrel implant the same as Depo Provera and Estradiol Valerate? 43 hours later
Which one of these is best to REDUCE the testosterone/arousal and any gland secretions in men? Also, which one of the following SHRINK the seminal vesicles?

- Ethinyloestradiol,
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate OR
- Etonogestrel.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

In my opinion Medroxyprogesterone acetate have maximum effect on sexual potency although the shrinkage of seminal vesicle is very much limited with all the options.

I hope this answers you further.
Thanks again.

Follow-up: Is the effect of Etonogestrel implant the same as Depo Provera and Estradiol Valerate? 2 hours later
Thanks. Can you pls recommend which medication would be best to shrink seminal vesicles so that semen production/output is stopped/reduced to the maximum? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Testosterone itself

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Testosterone being a male hormone brings about significant change in spermatogenesis and volume of seminal vesicle as it acts through negative feedback for gonadotrophins (central regulator for sexual hormones).

The another option is continuous use of gonadotrophins.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks again.