• question-icon

Is herpes simplex different form type 1 herpes?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Wife has Herpes Simplex. She believes that the Simplex Virus is different than Type 1 Herpes.
I believe she is wrong.
Please verify for us Thank You XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
The herpes simplex virus, or herpes, is categorized into 2 types: herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2).
HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral-to-oral contact to cause oral herpes (which can include symptoms known as “cold sores”), but can also cause genital herpes.
HSV-2 is a sexually transmitted infection that causes genital herpes.
Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 infections are lifelong.
Infection with the herpes simplex virus, commonly known as herpes, can be due to either herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). HSV-1 is mainly transmitted by oral to oral contact to cause infection in or around the mouth (oral herpes). HSV-2 is almost exclusively sexually transmitted, causing infection in the genital or anal area (genital herpes). However, HSV-1 can also be transmitted to the genital area through oral-genital contact to cause genital herpes.
I hope this helps you
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 21 minutes later
the answer is great but the basic problem remains.
My wife thinks that Herpes Simplex Virus is a third Type of Herpes Virus.. And that Herpes 1 & Herpes are separate.
I said that the Simplex Terminology is general and that the Herpes 1 & 2 Viruses are refered to as Herpes Simplex.
Which s the correct interperation. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
There is no third type called herpes apart from 2 types of herpes simplex virus.
However sometimes after 10 to 15 years of infection with herpes simplex, there might be reactivation of herpes infection, that condition is called herpes zoster or shingles.
You are right regarding terminology of herpes virus. herpes simplex is the type of virus, which is subdivided into two family of viruses HSV 1 and HSV 2.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Dr. Naveen Kumar