• question-icon

Is heart rate of 60-100 bpm a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My heart rate sits at around 95 to 110. i take ritalin, drink coffee, smoke, and have bad GAD. is this normal? when I'm not pacing, my heart rate is usually under 80bpm. I'm 27 years of age. Just concerned re the above mentioned.

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Smoking is not good for health

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear

The normal recommended hear rate for an adult is 60 to 100 beat per min according to which yours is slightly on the higher side. But your resting heart rate is normal (under 80).

This slightly high rate is most likely because of your habits like smoking and drinking coffee. They increases the sympathetic drive causing faster heart rates. Also smoking increases the risk of heart attack by 5 time's.

Also you are taking Ritalin which belongs to CNS stimulant group of meds. It also causes palpitations and fast heart rate as a side effect.

So its advisable to stop smoking completely and cut down your coffee intake. Eat healthy and exercise daily for a healthy heart and health.

I hope this information will be helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts .

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist