Is heart attack different from panic attack?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What's the difference between a heart attack and a panic attack.
Feeling discomfort rapid heart beat and almost faint like a panic attack after consuming food by 20 to 30 min. What could that be?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Looks more like a panic attack

Detailed Answer:
After going through the medical history provided by you I would like to tell you that patients with heart attack usually have chest pain or heaviness that last for a period of more than 20 mins and is usually relieved with the help of NITRATES.

Also for confirmation few tests needs to be done like ECG and cardiac markers.

However the chest discomfort in panic attack is usually transient it comes and goes by itself.

Sensation of fainting with chest discomfort after food is more of a panic attack scenario but ischeamia needs to be ruled out within the help of a ECG.

Hope this information will be helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T