Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Is glucose level of 252 an indication of severe diabetes ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 157 Questions
My 89 year old mother's recent blood test reported a gluclose level of 252 and a HGB-1-C of 7.2 and yet her doctor is NOT treating her for diabetes. Please help e understand. I have not had a response to my call to the doc. but I read this as full blown diabetes. She is highly anxious....are they connected?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Follow-up: Is glucose level of 252 an indication of severe diabetes ? 7 minutes later
How do I get an answer?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

From your history,the recent blood test of blood glucose of 252( I presume its Random blood sugar values) and Hgb-1c of 7.2 , HbA1c( Hgb -1c) indicates the level of saturation of hemoglobin with blood sugars,which can be quantified and indicates the blood sugar levels in the past 3 months ,since it is 7.2, which is higherside of the normal, suggest Diabetes mellitus. But i suggest you to do Fasting blood sugar(FBS) and Post prandial blood sugar(PPBS) tests.

Since FBS and PPBS are cosidered more reliable as they indicate fluctuations in blood sugar levels and HbA1c is not affected by short-term fluctuations in blood glucose concentrations, it is used as a prognostic guide,the higher the values more the end organ damage( like Eyes-Retina, kidney, heart , etc).

Since your mother is on prednisolone medication, which is steroid drug, which can also causes in raised blood sugar level, depending on the dosage and duration.
Also the diabetic effects on retina can be made out through ophthalmic examination which also indicates the chronicity (duration)of the diabetes.

Considering the above points a suitable management( initiating antidiabetic treatment and decreasing the predinsolone sideeffects, diet care) can be done.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Hope your mother recover soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor