Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Is full bladder feeling and urethra pain expected after kidney exploratory surgery?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9627 Questions
On January 20, 2014, I had a uteroscopy done because I was experiencing symptoms of a kidney stone, I had blood in my urine, and my xray showed a 9mm stone in the upper third of my ureter. It showed up on a regular xray like a chest xray, but of the abdomen. After the surgery, I was told I had no stone. It was supposed to be a day procedure but I ended up in the hospital for six days because my heart could not take it. It was irregular and racing, then my oxygen levels plummeted and I had to have an test to rule out blood clots. It required a contrast, which made my heart race again because the contrast made my kidney and ureter on the side the surgery was done, feel like it was on fire. I finally stabilized and went home. It has been five weeks today since my surgery. I still feel like my bladder is full all the time and I have sharp pain in my urethra constantly. When I am on my feel for a while, I feel like there is something in my vagina (I had bladder repair five years ago with mesh). Tomorrow I am getting an ultrasound of my kidneys because my CT scan showed that it was swollen on the same side that I had the surgery done on. I have +3 or greater blood every time I am tested. Labs do not indicate that I have a urinary tract infection. CT Scan shows no stone. I have returned to work, but I know I am not back to normal because there is no reason why my urethra and my bladder should dominate my thoughts all day long or be the focus of my life, and that is all I can think about. I am miserable. My question is: Are these symptoms to be expected five weeks after kidney exploratory surgery, and how much longer will it last. Also, that 9mm "kidney stone" still shows up on a routine xray. My doctor says he doesn't know what it is. He said it was "some kind of calcification." Isn't that what a kidney stone is? What could it possibly be?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It could be a calcified lymph node in abdomen. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone endoscopic surgery (Ureteroscopy) to remove the suspected to be stone in upper part of ureter and had cardiac problems during surgery.Intra operative findings ruled out presence of stone in ureter. Now you have pain in urethra .This could be most likely to be due to urethritis that one gets due to instrumentation (Passing scopes through delicate urethra) . The suspicious shadow that has been reported to be stone in ureter may not be stone in ureter but could be a calcified lymph node or an artefact located outside the ureter.The only test that can rule out whether it is ureteric stone or something else(Calcified Lymph node ) outside the ureter is to get radiological study called as Intra Venous Pyelography.(IVP) done. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefexine along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily.and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor