• question-icon

Is festone safe to take for medical abortion?

Posted on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: hello doctor. last week i and my partner got intimate and i check in pregnancy test kit and it came positive. i don't want this pregancy now as we are just students. so i asked a pharmacist and he said a medicine named Festone. He said total 3 tablets . one in 1st day and the other two after two days.
so i just wanted to ask you is this correct way of taking medicine and is this medicine really effective ? plz help. m very much scared.
If this medicine is not effective,suggest something by which i this pregnancy can be removed. my medicines. not any surgical. as i don't want anyone to know about this.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Firstly, let me tell you that an induced medical abortion is strictly to be done under medical supervision. You should get the pregnancy confirmed by a specialist, get a trans-vaginal sonogram to know the age of gestation and the location of the sac, get blood counts and urinalysis and proceed for the abortion.

Self-medication is harmful as it can lead to an incomplete abortion, infection or the possibility of trying to abort an ectopic pregnancy with grave consequences. Moreover, the dose suggested by your pharmacist is not correct.

In the current scenario, you should visit a gynecologist for further help. Do not worry, your condition will not be revealed to any one unless you want to. This way, it will not only help you in successfully completing an abortion, unnecessary future complications are also avoided. A follow up will confirm completion of the process.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
i confirmed the pregnancy by the prega test kit as my periods didn't take place this time and it came double line . so it means positive. is this not proper confirmation?
can you please suggest me about some medicines and there intake method so that i can tske them and come out of this trouble.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sonogram must to exclude ectopic pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

I suggested getting a sonogram to know the exact gestational age so as to prescribe the right dose of medicine and also to exclude any ectopic pregnancy. I presume you can understand the significance and the fact that simple home pregnancy test confirmation is not enough to induce an abortion.

I again insist that you see a specialist in person for inducing the abortion as treatment online is not advisable. You can use a combination of Mifepristone and Misoprostol for better results, but, the dosage and follow up should be under medical surveillance. Please do not self-medicate. Your details will always be secure in a medical facility.

Hope your doubts have been answered. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
yes doctor. i have got up a pack of mifepristone and misoprostol .
can you just tell me the procedure for their dosage ? i am suffering from fever. yesterday night i have taken medicines for fever and taken the tablet of mifepristone(before food). when shall i take the rest 4 tablets of misoprostol?
and after taking both the medicines when and how can i get confirmed that my pregnancy has been aborted and there is nothing left to fear ?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing again.

You should take the four tablets of Misoprostol vaginally after one day after intake of Mifepristone. Uterine cramps along with bleeding usually occur within four hours after vaginal insertion. You will expel the products of conception. Since you are early pregnant, you may not notice the products clear enough. Follow up after 14 days through a sonogram is necessary to confirm completion of the abortion. Maintain genital hygiene. Persistent bleeding or fever warrant medical attention.

Hope all your queries have been answered.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN