• question-icon

Is consumption of fast foods okay when getting treated for jaundice?

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello Sir,
I was having Jaundice a month back, my bilirubin level was 5 at its XXXXXXX .on the 9th of November..was hospitalised for a week and then my bilirubin was 2..now it is 1.5..and also my sgpt and sgot are in its range..
I wanted to know when can i have Mcdonalds and kfc food?
Also when can i smoke and drink?
I know it is harmful and all..i am not a smoker but i do hookah sometimes..have never smoked a cigarette in my life..
I also drink occasionally..so i wanted to know when can i start again?
Thank you so much Dr.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Personal discretion suggested

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I can assume that the jaundice that you suffered from was infective in nature (waterborne) unless other serious causes have already been identified. Whatever be the scenario, the liver has faced a stressful situation and is just getting over it. Although the healing of the liver is fast, fatty foods, alcohol or medicines all need the liver to work harder to digest or metabolise them. Naturally it is simply an added taxation.

So, it is best if such taxation is avoided. In case you cannot, there can be no definite time duration when it can be said that the liver is now able to take extra load. I would rather leave it on personal discretion keeping in mind the health hazard that it may cause. If you begin taking those things in modest amounts when you feel fit enough. Just keep your health in consideration and things would just be fine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Thank you so much Dr.

Ive been feeling very much fit now, as i was totally taking care. Ive also started working and the reports are totally fine as my Dr. said.
So i just wanted to know frankly how much time should i wait to eat outside but hygenic food.?
I am asking this as i have to travel alot. Since 1 and half month ive been at my place and now ive started working again as everything is perfectly fine according to me. And also about the alcohol, i do not drink too often, just a peg or two in a month.
Please suggest me on this Dr.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If food is hygeinic, no problems in taking it even now

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

There is some difference between what you said last time and what you said now. McDonalds or KFC are known for yummy (read:fatty) foods. But the issue of eating outside is different. The main issue with food outside is that you never know whether it could bear waterborne diseases, so people feel it better to play safe. But this is a general precaution that need not be related to having hepatitis. So, on this ground, if you are certain that the food is safe, you can take such outside food anytime. I would not suggest any time delay in this regard.

About alcohol, if it is as low as a peg or two a month, I think that there is no problem even if you take it now. Just being a bit health conscious is all you need.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 19 minutes later
Thank you so much doctor.

And healthcaremagic!
Really helpful.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of help

Detailed Answer:
It is really good to hear that you found my answer as well as the platform useful. I would request you to come back to us with your health queries as and when they occur. With respect to my answer, if you found it helpful, please close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha