• question-icon

Should I be worried about diarrhea during pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Infections
Question: My wife is pragnant. She is on 6th month. She is having disentry for last two days. Is it something worry about?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Thakker 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Dysentry with pregnancy needs prompt treatment Detailed Answer: Dear patient. Greetings from health care magic!!! I am Dr Thakker and shall be answering your question. I can understand your anxiety about your wife's health. I will try my best to answer your question and guide you through it. I wish to know her age, if she is pregnant for the first time? I wish to know more details of her stool problem. How many times she had dysentery? Was this accompanied by blood in stools? Did she have vomiting and abdominal pain along with it? Does she feel the fetal movements in her abdomen? Dysentery during pregnancy is a matter of concern. She needs to be treated with special antibiotics which are safe in pregnancy. This could cephalosporin like ceftriaxone and anti-amoebic drug like metronidazole. She may need ondansetron for vomiting, pantoprazole for control of acidity, oral rehydration. In case her blood pressure is less than 90/60 she needs to be admitted for intravenous hydration therapy. I would recommend you to take her to your family doctor for further assessment. If neglected, this can lead to preterm labour, maternal dehydration, renal failure, hypovolemic shock. Hence I would suggest you to act promptly. I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to write back to me. Yours sincerely, Dr Thakker
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Hardik Thakker