Is black stool a serious concern?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Is black stool always an emergency?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 29 minutes later
Hi

Black stool is usually result of upper gastrointestinal bleeding. When the quantity of blood loss is more than 60 ml it results in black stools. In majority of times its not a medical emergency.
Do get back to me with details for further discussion.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 minutes later
I have an unbilical hernia that has been hurting but isnt strangulated. I had two large colon polyps (non cancerous) removed last year. No changes in bowel movements, but a lot of black today. I did drink beer a little heavy on Friday night. Could that cause temporary bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to Erosive gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

Umbilical hernia rarely undergo strangulation. If the hernia is reducible and there is no distension of abdomen then there is no cause for concern.

The cause is likely to be due to alcohol induced gastritis which could have bleed.

I would suggest you the following
1. Taking Proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprozole

2.Sucralfate syrup will be helpful.

3. Also avoid alcohol intake .

4. Avoid spicy and oily food.

Do keep me updated about the progress

Wishing you great health

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 minutes later
Thank you, i will
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Wishing you great health.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 hours later
Ok, this may sound strange but is there any other way this umbilical hernia is related to the dark stool? I'm asking because the discomfort and pain at my belly button has been tremendously less since i passed the dark stool. I had very loose stool this morning with just a tiny amount of dark solid pieces, but i feel ten times better than i have in days! One other thing i forgot to mention: i had went to an urgent care clinic about the abdominal discomfort and the doctor there, while examining my hernia, pressed his finger into my belly button until i screamed in pain. After that was when the hernia pain localized and became more intense. Is there any way that could have caused bleeding in my intestine and clotted? And after passing it made me feel better?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to umbilical hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings
Umbilical hernia is rarely complicated by strangulation or volulus or internal intestinal bleeding. The other content of umbilical hernia is omentum apart from intestine. There is sometimes slight omental adhesion, this could explain the pain while reducing with finger. A reducible umbilical hernia is very reassuring and is unlikely to be cause if symptoms. If the black stools persists you will require further assessment by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Kindly let me know whether there is any fresh black stools.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj