Is a platelet count of 295 considered low?

Question
my platelet count is 295. Is that considered low?
I noticed easy brusing and small red spots on my forearms appearing without trauma
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is a normal value

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Though the exact range can vary from one lab to the other, in general, the normal range for platelet count is approximately 150 to 400. Values less than this 150 would be considered to be low.

This means that your value of 295 is within the normal range. It is not low, based on this value, your clotting should not be impaired due to platelets.

There are other substances in the blood besides platelets that can affect clotting , they are called coagulation or clotting factors. In addition, liver disease and low levels of vitamin k can also affect clotting.

If you notice prolonged bleeding after a lesion (normal bleeding time is 1 to 9 minutes) or frequent bleeding episodes then you may need to consult your doctor for a blood test.

There are blood tests available that can check these clotting factors if needed.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions