• question-icon

Is a booster dose of hepatitis B advisable?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: One one my acquaintance caught hepatitis B at the age of 40 and eventually it became serious and he passed away.
I just wanted to check should we get the "Genevac B" vaccine even though we have completed the hepatitis B vaccination during our child hood?

Answered by Dr. Sunil 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its better to get shots now.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query XXXXXXX

The need for the booster dose in healthy individuals who have received the full primary immunization, is not recommended(immunization as per European standards). It would seem advisable to recommend a booster dose when Anti- HBs antibody titres fall below 10 IU/L for all people at risk.So if you are sure that quality vaccination had been given to you in 0,1,6 months there is no need to get booster doses now.
However if you suspect a primary exposure(your friend was infected) to Hepatitis B patient you can get a booster immunization now.

P.S- 2 extra shots of vaccines are not going to do any harm.Personally i have no faith in XXXXXXX vaccines and tragic XXXXXXX care system(quality health care skills etc all are compromised;So its a good idea to get shots now}.You can imagine the quality of vaccination 30 years back.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
My parents will be traveling to Saudi Arabia for Hajj for about 40 days in next month or so. Would it be advisable to get them this shot? Is Genevac B the widely used vaccine for Hepatitis B?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Yes they should get their shots before leaving country.

Advantage of Genevac b over normal vaccine-
Studies show that the test vaccine (GeneVac-B) is as immunogenic and as safe as the comparator vaccine. Moreover, genetically modified H. polymorpha, which is the host system used for GeneVac-B production, has the advantages of expressing mitotically stable recombinant strains.
In short its latest and one of the best vaccines available.

Go for it.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist