Is WBC count of 14000 a cause for concern?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My 8 month baby girl is having fever since last 4 days and her fever is around 102 to 104. I took her blood test (CBC) and the report shows that her WBC count has been increased to 14000, all other parameters are in normal range. Doctor prescribed her antibiotics for 5 days (Cefixime, Azithromycin ) but still her fever not comes down, Doctor says that wait one more day to complete the antibiotic course and then we decide what we can do next.

Doctor, please suggest what will be next course of action, should we need to take more blood test ? How many days to comes down her fever ?

It would be great if you provide me your suggestion on the above issue. Waiting for your reply.

Warm Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually it subsides in 5-7 days

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I have gone through your question and understand your concern. Usually such fevers take 5-7 days to resolve. You need to complete the course of antibiotics. Hopefully by the time you complete the course, the fever would be gone.

There are no specific precautions to suggest.
If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng