Is SHBG level of 179 nmol a cause for concern?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: sbhg level is 179nmol. could this be an

indicator of pregnancy? is there a reason i would be also having high blood pressure and all my viens popping out of my skin. im also brusing very easily. pregnant or something else? i want to know what other blood results can indicate pregnancy other than a hcg blood result....
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Confirmed pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
These levels are suggestive of pregnancy and veins pop out during pregnancy because of the vasodilatation caused by progesterone.
So no need to have further testing and this is confirmatory.
Serum progesterone levels more than 30 also signify pregnancy so in case you want to get them, you can try that and also get thyroid levels along with complete blood count.
Ultrasound is anyways confirmatory in any pregnancy.
Get the reports and visit a gynecologist for examination.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 10 minutes later
my shbg level was taken on 15/06/2015, my progesterone reading on same day indicated 31.5. is there any other possible explanation to my high shbg level? or is only pregnancy the cause? my thyroid levels are all within range but on the lower end. so why havent i been able to get a strong positive urine pregnancy test? and what was the large golf ball size mass that came out of my vagina on day 43 on clomid cycle?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a viable pregnancy so aborted

Detailed Answer:
No dear both these levels are quite suggestive of pregnancy so nothing else is needed further.
The mass expelled was probably conceptus with blood clot probably but it cannot be assessed in any way now.
Strong positive results were not there may be because you carried an abnormal pregnancy which never grew to the extent of viability so didn't secrete enough bHCG to yield a good result.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 53 minutes later
i expelled the mass 9th may but my blood test results were 15th of XXXXXXX and sorry just reading my progesterone results, the result of 31.5 was on 02/07/15. so could i still be pregnant? i still feel im pregnant. it was only yesterday i got 181bpm on the doppler machine.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound report needed

Detailed Answer:
This is quite unusual and points to the fact that you are either still pregnant or that you had incomplete abortion
Did you get any ultrasound done so far? In case yes please upload me the reports with dates.
In case you haven't had one, then kindly get it done so that I can corelate everything.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 12 hours later
Are doppler devices for home use accurate? If a reading of 180 - 210 bpm is detected by the device, is this confirmation of a pregnancy? Or is there another medical reason why a doppler device would detect a fetal heartbeat? Such as tumor or some other service medical condition?
Brief Answer:
Calibration required

Detailed Answer:
Doppler devices are accurate and are commonly used these days by many patients in routine.
They detect the heart beat well and in general there is no error.
But usual heart beat is around 110-160 beats and thus it seems like your device is faulty.
Only false reading devices pick is maternal heart beat which is around 70-90 beats only.
So reconfirm your device reading at some hospital and get it calibererated.
All the best.