Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Is Lymphatic Filariasis test advisable for swollen lymph glands and increase in breast size?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Hi, I am a 55 year old (almost post menopausal) woman from Australia. I visited Thailand in October and after a week or so developed an angry, localised rash on my left leg - on the outside, just above the knee - which when through stages of small scabs (like scabies) then became like an angry dermatitits before eventually disappearing a few weeks later. Around the same time as the rash disappeared I developed swelling in my breasts - most noticeably my left breast - and went up a cup size. I have had x-rays and an ultrasound which detected noticeable lymph nodes on the arm pit side of my left breast though not my right and no sign of tumours/cancer. The report also noted the larger size of my left breast (though my right has always been slightly larger) I thought perhaps my underwire bra was aggravating the lymph glands and looked up how to do lymphatic drainage. That's when I discovered Lymphatic Filariasis. Do you think it is worth being tested for this? I was in a country with high infection rates (though only for days not weeks) my lymph glands are swollen and my left breast has increased in size?? XXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do investigation for lymphatic filariasis Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case. As per your symptoms there is possibility of lymph node involvement. But you should accurately rule out breast cancer also. Yes you can do further investigation for lymphatic filariasis I will advise to do blood investigation and FNAC of swelling should be done and lymphangiography. Till time you can start medication and antibiotic. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor