What causes throat pain?

hello. Today out of now where it started to hurt as i swallowed and i can t understand why. it s no getting to the point where i can t bare the pain. I can t see anything on my tonsils, and i can t feel any swelling with my fingers. And i m not to sure if i should go to the doctor or not yet. and ideas?
Tue, 8 Jun 2021

Throat pain which stated all of a sudden but the tonsils look normal can then be due to one of the following reasons:
- Epiglottitis that is swelling of epiglottis starts as sudden pain with inability to swallow
- Inflammation of the hyoid bone and the muscles around it
- Inflammatory lesion in lower pharynx also called as hypopharynx

This can be diagnosed by the following ways:
X-ray of the neck in lateral view. relevant tests of blood, endoscopy of hypopharynx. This will give the best idea and thus allow a proper diagnosis so that an appropriate management can be done. Start taking an anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen if it suits you. Antibiotic and other medicines as would be advised by your Doctor or an ENT Surgeon.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon