Is Diethylcarbamazine citrate the right medicine for cold in children?
Check his absolute eosinophil counts
I understand your concerns but don't worry. We do advise diethylcarbamazine citrate for cases with topical eosinophilia. But it's important to assess your child's absolute eosinophil counts (AEC) and total IgE levels. It will give a better idea about his allergy status. If they are high, then you may start him on diethylcarbamazine citrate at 6mg/kg/day in 3 divided doses. It's usually a safe drug in recommended dosages. In case your child show symptoms such as poor activity, lethargy, persistent vomiting, poor consciousness, etc at any time then you may hold it and visit your pediatrician for evaluation.
Hopefully it will be of help.
Thank you for your answer. I had uploaded the scanned version of the blood test report done on Feb 26, 2016 along with my question. Hope you found the report file. The eosinophil count is 12% and total WBC count is 12500. So, can we take it that his regular paediatrician has rightfully prescribed Benocide 50.
No need to worry
The reports are fine with mild increase in eosinophils. WBC counts upto 15000/mm3 is normal in kids. He needs just symptomatic treatment in the form of antihistamines such as Montair Lc kid at present. But since the episodes are recurrent, so evaluation for total IgE and AEC will be useful to rule out allergic tendency. If increased, then starting Diethylcarbamazine citrate will be of value as mentioned earlier.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Medicin fever and cold
- Aerius cold treatment medicine children
- Cz cold medicine
- Medicine for cold and cough with flum
- Medicine for cold
- Childrens cold medicine nightmares
- Cold medicines compatible with lisinopril
- Medicine for severe cough cold
- Homemade medicine for childrens cough and cold
- Medicine name for cold sneezing
- Under what conditions should breastfeeding be restricted to infant?
- What causes absence seizures after adenoid and tonsil removal?
- Suggest treatment for sleep movement disorder
- Is HSV infection as dangerous as HIV infection?
- Suggest treatment for persistent fever and frequent urination
- Can Lanzol be given along with milk to a 3 year old?
- What causes fever after vaccination in child?
- What causes swellings on back of head in a toddler?
- Is it safe to give Spark energy drink to children?
- Is burning sensation in throat after eating hot food a cause for concern?